Thursday, December 15, 2011

"Sea Changes" by Gail Gibson

Sea Changes
by Gail Gibson
401 pages

Short Verson: Sarah is still grieving the loss of her husband after 2 years. She comes across a parallel world under the sea. While trying to figure out if it is real or not, others believe her to be part of a missing persons crime.

Why I Read It: This was a find at Borders when they were closing. It's been on my TBR shelf and seemed like an easy read for my trip this weekend.

The Book: From Goodreads
Newly widowed, Sarah tries to drown herself, only to discover an impossible, alternative world. Back on the beach she asks herself, Did that really happen? Or am I losing my mind? Her attempt to make sense of what happened involves her in an alleged kidnapping, and Sarah ends up being accused of murdering someone from a world that doesn't exist. Or does it?

My Thoughts: This was a good easy read I wanted for my plane ride today. The idea of this parallel world that Sarah is a vestigant to was interesting. The under water world is less physical and more "cerebral existence" as the inhabitants call it. Sarah only interacts with two of the inhabitants of the parallel world, Bantryd and Xaxanader. Bantryd decides to come back with Sarah to look for her mother. She is new to everything in Sarah's world and has trouble getting used to it. During all of this Sarah is unsure of if it is really happening or if it is a dream. While she is figuring out what is real and what is not, she becomes a suspect in the case of a missing heiress. The heiress looks just like Bantryd. Sarah knows it is not her but everyone else cannot see that and Sarah knows they won't believe her story of the parallel world under the sea. Sarah's grief psychiatrist tries to tell her this parallel world is her way of coping with things and making them better for herself. I almost thought this was the way the book would end, with Sarah realizing it was not real but a coping mechanism. However, I was clearly wrong about this. I was worried the ending would be abrubt because I was getting to the last pages but things had not been resolved. It turned out to be a good ending though. Closure, but with some left to the imagination. Overall this turned out to be a good read.

3.5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! I appreciate all comments and will try to reply as soon as possible.