Thursday, March 22, 2012

Booking Through Thursday: Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better

This week's Booking Through Thursday asks...
Ever written a book you thought you could have written better yourself?

I don't know that I have ever thought about this while reading a book. I do not consider myself a writer so I am not in that mindset while reading. I am sure there are certain books I would have done differently or tweeked some part of them. Looking through the books I read last year I keep coming back to 13, rue Therese. The summery to this book caught my attention- it is about a guy who finds a box of pictures, letters & objects from a woman who lived in Paris through both World Wars. He goes through the box and imagines what her life was like and who this woman was. I thought he was going to go on a hunt to figure out who this mystery woman was. Instead the book goes back and forth from the present to his imaginations of this woman's life, like he is a fly on the wall observing her. This was very hard to figure out. The more he imagines this mystery woman the more he is also noticing his beautiful office clerk. I think somehow there was a connection between the two women but that was never explained. I read this book in a day on the beach and I felt so lost and confused when it was over. I was expecting a bit of a historical fiction but instead got the imaginations of a man day dreaming about a woman. I don't know how I would have exactly written this better but I would have gone about it differently.

Are there any books you think you could have written better?

1 comment:

  1. No, I'm not a writer. However, there are days when I'd have liked to be in on the editing of a book.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I appreciate all comments and will try to reply as soon as possible.